Interim Group HSE Director
Low & Bonar Plc (October 2015 - October 2016)
Based from London Head office, reporting jointly to the Global Director of Operations and the CEO. 8 direct reports (Country HSE Managers) plus indirect (local HSE Advisors). As part of the Global Operations team, worked closely with the Group Manufacturing Director and Manufacturing & Site Managers.
• Supporting implementation of HSE Standards, Directives, Policies and Procedures, as well as compliance with all relevant legislation across Low & Bonar companies and JV partners.
• Leading and developing the Group HSE department, ensuring that adequate competent HSE resourcing was available and properly deployed throughout Low & Bonar.
• Reporting on HSE performance at Group and Board level.
• Promoting a culture of HSE best practice, agreeing standards and improvement targets for HSE within Low & Bonar.
• To ensure sound risk management principles and practices were in place, and that targets were set for improvement in risk management across Low & Bonar.
• To evaluate proposals and make recommendations for the purchasing of materials, products and services, and to ensure HSE compliance.
• To support the insurance for property and monitor performance of Insurer requirements.
• To assist with Greenhouse Gas reporting as required by law.
• Support the implementation of ISO 14001 and ISO 50001.
• To draft the Corporate & Social Responsibility section for the company’s annual report.
• Chair monthly Global HSE Committee meetings and run Annual Global HSE Community meeting.
• Support construction as well as commissioning and handover to operations for new manufacturing sites.
Project HSSE Manager - Amrumbank Offshore Wind Farm
Eon Climate & Renewables (July 2012 - October 2015)
Based from Hamburg Project office, reporting to the Project Manager and Head of HSSE, Offshore Technologies.
• Development, mobilisation, Installation and Commissioning phase.
• Providing a project HSSE management system, complying with German legislation and EC&R standards. (Schutz- und Sicherheitskonzept/HSSE concept, according to BSH requirements and supporting safety procedures.)
• Advising, reviewing and supporting the Project Manager and Package Managers in HSSE related issues for their respective areas of responsibility.
• Support and train project team members in AWG HSSE management system.
• Conducting Contractor evaluations and assessments in accordance with the prequalification and tendering process
• Managing additional HSSE resources
• Supporting Package Leads (Foundation, Logistics, Turbine, Electrical, Engineering, Consents & Certification, Procurement & Legal), attending/supporting Design Reviews, and providing input to construction risk assessments.
• Managing incident reporting process to meet project, corporate and legal reporting demands
• Reporting HSSE Performance based on agreed Key Performance Indicators
• Providing regular HSSE status reports to Steercom
• Consulting with contractors on HSSE matters and checking their Risk Assessments & Method statements prior to commencement of work on site. Ensuring Contractors work according to the same.
• Conducting HSE audits at all project locations and at Contractors’ facilities.
• Participating in project meetings, Kick-offs and Safety events across the project.
Interim HSE Manager
Svendborg Brakes A/S (Denmark) (November 2008 - December 2009)
• Conducted an HSE review of operations in Denmark, Germany and China.
• Co-coordinated corrective action for approximately 1,000 identified issues.
• Delivered an HSE development programme and achieved ISO 18001 accreditation.
• Developed an improved safety culture, utilizing 5S method. Additionally tasked with facilitating a continuous improvement project to reduce customer claims. Reporting jointly to the Head of Sustainability (for Private Equity owner) and Managing Director of Svendborg Brakes.
Interim Global HSE Manager
LM Glasfiber A/S (Denmark) (June 2006 - December 2007)
Assignment remit included responsibility for:
• Re-alignment of global HSE resources to support local reporting to factory management.
• Reporting on progress as part of formal programme management and to the Board on request.
• Sourcing and co-ordination of external expertise for the analysis of specific H&S issues.
• Implementation of a framework for the development of a global HSE management system and controls.
• Facilitation of improvements to the work environment utilizing 5S.
• Providing direction for two direct reports – global environmental co-coordinator and H&S co-coordinator (group management functions) as well as leadership on all HSE issues for all global resources.
• Development and monitoring of key indicators of HSE performance as part of operations reviews.
• Ongoing development of HSE awareness through various communications including information bulletins, newsletter articles, posters and intranet content.
• Investigation and follow up on all HSE related incidents.
• Developed and ran three global HSE workshops (UK, USA and Spain) attended by all HSE resources.
• Member of Quality Task Force visiting plants to provide renewed focus on quality related performance.
Interim Health and Safety Director
Homebuy Group Ltd (February 2006 - May 2006)
Client recognised that current and future growth needed supporting by formal health & safety arrangements. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, my responsibilities included:
• Conducted risk assessments of all company operations.
• Developed group H&S policy and documented safe systems of work.
• Recruited and trained H&S representatives.
• Developed internal communications including a monthly newsletter and information bulletins.
• Mentored two internal candidates to take over the running of the function upon completion of the assignment.